Thursday, May 15, 2008

That's it, I'm firing my cat.

Remember that time my cat, Murry, ate a cotton ball and we had to go to surgery. Yeah. Exactly 1 year and 2 weeks after that event we were at it again.

Last week I noticed Murry was doing the usual "I'm sick, I ate something" routine. I didn't think much of it at first because this happens with him often and usually whatever it is passes in a day or so. Well, after 24 hours, a dose of metoclopramide, and several doses of lactulose (the majority of which ended up on his fur) later he had gotten worse. So I took him into the vet school and after some radiographs and an ultrasound it was determined that he needed surgery.

Thing of it is, my parents had told me that the next time he obstructed with a foreign body we would have to consider putting him down. I'll admit, he does have a chronic problem of eating everything and its not fair to put him through surgery once a year. However, I was not ready to let my little kitty go over something that I knew was completely fixable. Luckily my mom came through and told me to take him to surgery, she would help cover some of the expense.

So off we were again, I packed up Murry, headed down to my mentor's husband's clinic (where the surgery is about half as expensive as at school) and watched as Murry got cut open once again.

So here is what we saw:









And here is what we pulled out:



Doesn't look like anything too exciting huh? Maybe another cotton ball? No, he doesn't have access to those anymore. A toy mouse? Hmm, I didn't think so. So I pulled it apart a bit and realized exactly what it was . . .


It was the tail end of this:
That is Murry's favorite fox toy. Note the missing end of the tail. There was a white part that used to belong there, Murry decided it would be tasty. It was a little over an inch long and about 3/4 of an inch in diameter. Pretty freakin' big for a little cat intestine. The sick thing is that he chewed the tail off and then swallowed it whole. What cat does that? I would also like to point out that the toy is missing all four feet. Murry ate those a while ago and proceeded to vomit them up in my bed. I found them when I rolled over and my foot landed in a wet pile of fox legs. I should of taken the toy away then. I'm a moron.

Needless to say the toy is now confiscated, along with all other stuffed animals. In addition, I have finally bit the bullet and bought a cat cage. Its spacious and has little shelves. Murry is about to become a crate-trained kitty cat. No more running around my house destroying things while I'm gone or while I'm asleep. He won't like it but it's better than surgery again right?

Meanwhile, I've been studying for my small animal medicine final which is tomorrow. I'm pretty screwed since I've already been struck with senoritis and I'm not even a senior yet. However, that will all change after this exam tomorrow, I'll be done with junior year and officially be a senior! Woohoo!

1 comment:

Tayaki said...

congrats on becoming a final year! when do your rotations start? loved the cat story by the way. hope murray is recovering well!