Sunday, July 8, 2007

I need to capture this feeling

Tonight I did something amazing. A mare with a ruptured prepubic tendon was induced to foal and out came a 1 month premature foal. After Dr. Flip and Veronica intubated her we realized her heart wasn't beating. When someone asked who would start CPR I just jumped right in and started compressions. Veronica and I got a rhythm going and amazingly enough the heart started beating right under my hands. It was amazing. I brought her back from the dead. And then her heart stopped again. Without even being asked I started compressions again. And miraculously we got her beating again. I started her heart not once but twice. Twice. I can't even begin to describe the feeling of accomplishment that I got. Unfortunately the foal didn't make it. She couldn't breath on her own. But I still think I did something amazing and I'm never going to forget that feeling.

No comments: